Kick off your New Year by participating in physical activity. It is recommended adults participate in 30 minutes a day of physical activity. Physical activity can help reduce stress, improve your mood, and enhance cognition.
Here are simple ways to start adding physical activity to your daily habit:
- Make a positive plan – approach your fitness goals with positive self-talk as your mind often has control over your actions.
- Change your environment – your physical environment can impact how well you stay on track with your goals. Check your health plan for gym and group class benefits.
- Be flexible – while it is important to stay consistent, some days you may need to make adjustments to your fitness routine or give yourself a rest day entirely
- Start working towards your fitness goals – write down a list of daily, weekly, and even monthly goals to help stay accountable and consistent
Not sure where to begin on your fitness journey? Try these physical activities for your next workout:
- Recreational activities: yoga, pilates, swimming, golfing, and cardio
- Sports activities: boxing, tennis, karate, and basketball
Regular physical activity is one of the best things you can do for your health. It can improve your ability to do everyday activities, improve your brain health, and strengthen your bones and muscles. Get moving today!